Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bomb52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2009
ORANGE COUNTY
Good morning every on. I have 2019 Mac Pro. I try to boot from usb to install window. Was hold option key but it didn't let me go to boot menu. I Already clear secure T2 Chip.
If some one have experience on this please let me know

thank you

AppaSquatic

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2024
I did this a little while back when I was trying to work out how to boot into Linux to see what works and what doesn't. I didn't find it straight forward, and I think some experts may give you a better answer, but this is what I did (which is similar to what you've described, I think):

• T2 Stuff
    • Went into Recovery Mode (CMD+OPTION+R)
    • Utilities-->Startup Security
    • I set Secure Boot=No Security (for booting Linux) but I think you can choose Medium if booting older MacOS version
    • Set Allow Booting from External Media = Checked
  • Booting Options
    • I tried to follow the instructions for booting into external drive using the Option key, but I clearly don't have that level of magical ability/dexterity, so I did this instead:
    • Ensure the USB or PCIe DISK you're trying to boot from is connected
    • System Settings-->General-->StartUp Disk-->Select that Disk
That worked for me on restarting. If you still don't have any luck. check you've made the bootable disk correctly. I say this, because I tried Belana Etcher (which looks simple enough) but I did something wrong. Then I tried a "dd" command example from Terminal, and this worked out fine.

That's all I've got for now, best of luck :) Otherwise, I'm sure there are smart folk that do this day in / day out that can point you in the right direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.