Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Wondering if someone can help shed some light.
Why are soundbars so popular nowadays? Not talking about a center channel in a 3+ speaker setup (though that is a related topic), but standalone soundbars (and maybe a subwoofer). It seems like a lot of people prefer them over a pair of stereo speakers for their home theater. Granted soundbars have the legitimate advantage of a simple one speaker device setup rather than two (plus some sort of amp/receiver if using traditional speakers rather than something like homepods), but they can’t compare to the stereo separation of two widely placed stereo speakers. So is it just the simplicity advantage? There are expensive high end soundbars so I don’t imagine it’s always the lower price advantage.

But speaking of center channels, I’m also not sure of their value. When two sounds are coming out of my stereo home theater speakers identically, it sounds like it’s coming directly from my tv screen. Are center channels necessary?

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I have 2 older Altec computer speakers hooked to my reciever that sounds better than the soundbars I've heard. All I had to do, was plug them in. But use headphones most of the time.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Why are soundbars so popular nowadays?
I say:
  • Price
  • Easier setup.
  • Fewer wires behind monitor/AV receiver/stand.
  • Just about anything sounds better than built-in TV speakers.
  • People accustomed to laptop or cheap desktop speakers will perceive soundbar output to very high qualilty.
  • A lot of people prioritize bass over the rest of the frequency range. So a soundbar + subwoofer setup is ideal for those listeners.
Finally, a center front channel is really good for gaming. It's pretty good for movies in surround sound if you have decent physical separation between your left front and right front speakers. And Blu-Ray Audio aficionados want to be able to play 5.1 mixes of albums.

Reactions: AxisOfBeagles

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wondering if someone can help shed some light.
Why are soundbars so popular nowadays? Not talking about a center channel in a 3+ speaker setup (though that is a related topic), but standalone soundbars (and maybe a subwoofer). It seems like a lot of people prefer them over a pair of stereo speakers for their home theater. Granted soundbars have the legitimate advantage of a simple one speaker device setup rather than two (plus some sort of amp/receiver if using traditional speakers rather than something like homepods), but they can’t compare to the stereo separation of two widely placed stereo speakers. So is it just the simplicity advantage? There are expensive high end soundbars so I don’t imagine it’s always the lower price advantage.

But speaking of center channels, I’m also not sure of their value. When two sounds are coming out of my stereo home theater speakers identically, it sounds like it’s coming directly from my tv screen. Are center channels necessary?
I've been using 20" Vizio sound bar with my iMac for over a year... compact, easy to set up, and sounds great in my small-ish office. Was priced right, too... $60.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Soundbars typically provide better sound than built-in TV speakers... especially since TVs have gotten thinner and have down-firing speakers.

Maybe that was their plan all along... make TVs sound bad so they can sell you an additional accessory... :p

But yes... separate stereo speakers would probably sound better than a soundbar.... but then you'll need some sort of amp/receiver, more wires, etc.

I think soundbars are popular just because they're easy.

Reactions: One2Grift

BigRed39

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Many soundbars also support eARC, the advantage being that their volume can be changed with the TV remote (with supported sets). I have 2 Homepods connected to the new ATV which also supports eARC. Sounds great.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for the feedback!
Seems like the consensus is the main advantage centers around their simplicity—one device, easy to set up, easy to use. Although stereo Homepods are probably just as easy or maybe even easier. But of course it’s a different story with traditional speakers which requires an amp/receiver and running wires.
Soundbars definitely provide way better sound than most TV’s built-in speakers, but I was more trying to compare them to dedicated stereo speakers, which generally have the advantage audio experience-wise simply because of the stereo separation. But with soundbars’ simplicity and much better than TV built-in speakers sound, it makes sense that they’re popular, perhaps more popular than stereo speakers.
Of course the lower barrier to entry with very inexpensive soundbars is a huge factor. But there are some soundbars that get into the thousands of dollars. I guess those target buyers just really want that simplicity and don’t care to have more stereo separation. I wonder how those high end soundbars compare to stereo Homepods…

I guess what perplexed me is I think I’ve seen multiple people in MR forums say they hope Apple makes a soundbar. So I’m just thinking, “But that’s a downgrade from stereo Homepods”…? Is it just because it might be cheaper?

I've been using 20" Vizio sound bar with my iMac for over a year... compact, easy to set up, and sounds great in my small-ish office. Was priced right, too... $60.
Actually, a soundbar for a PC probably provides good stereo separation, since you’re sitting right up close to it. Two stereo computer speakers probably wouldn’t be spaced that much farther apart.

Last edited:

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
I say:
  • Price
  • Easier setup.
  • Fewer wires behind monitor/AV receiver/stand.
  • Just about anything sounds better than built-in TV speakers.
  • People accustomed to laptop or cheap desktop speakers will perceive soundbar output to very high qualilty.
  • A lot of people prioritize bass over the rest of the frequency range. So a soundbar + subwoofer setup is ideal for those listeners.
Finally, a center front channel is really good for gaming. It's pretty good for movies in surround sound if you have decent physical separation between your left front and right front speakers. And Blu-Ray Audio aficionados want to be able to play 5.1 mixes of albums.

I think that pretty much covers it. I've been around a while and always had some kind of stereo setup. Small speakers were crap. Now we have all kinds of small portable speakers that sound pretty good. Sound bars will not match a setup with separate amp and speakers, but they are now capable of sounding good enough for many. They are much less expensive than a true audiophile setup, are much simpler to set up, take up much less space, etc. When I basically through away my amp was when the inputs and outputs became obsolete. I realized I was just kind of chasing my tail.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
TVs are so thin nowadays, there's only so much air they can move. Very thin, weak bass. Like others have said, sound bars take the audio quality up a notch easy-peasy.

If you have the space and (basic) technical know-how, however, an AVR with surround speakers is a whole different experience! ?

Reactions: Audit13

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Yes, soundbars are a great easy fix for bad tv audio. Considering their popularity, I really think Apple missed a great opportunity not going after the soundbar market when they released the HomePod (at the time I remember many people asking if they can work with Apple TV). The home theater features should have been there from the start, as well as the two tiers of sound quality (regular and mini, both having full home theater integration). High quality Apple Music listening speaker is apparently not a big enough market on its own, and the smart speaker market is too competitive with other cheaper, smarter smart assistants. So those should have been marketed as added perks, with home theater audio being the focus. I think there would be a lot more HomePods in homes now had that been the case.
But it’s not too late. Maybe Apple will come out with something soon to replace the OG HomePods.

Last edited:

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Yes, soundbars are a great easy fix for bad tv audio. Considering their popularity, I really think Apple missed a great opportunity not going after the soundbar market when they released the HomePod (at the time I remember many people asking if they can work with Apple TV). The home theater features should have been there from the start, as well as the two tiers of sound quality (regular and mini, both having full home theater integration). High quality Apple Music listening speaker is apparently not a big enough market on its own, and the smart speaker market is too competitive with other cheaper, smarter smart assistants. So those should have been marketed as added perks, with home theater audio being the focus. I think there would be a lot more HomePods in homes now had that been the case.
But it’s not too late. Maybe Apple will come out with something soon to replace the OG HomePods.

I agree. IMO, the homepods were crippled by software. If they had worked smoothly with Macs I probably would've bought a pair. They were just too limited by software. A missed opportunity for Apple.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
In motion picture sound in theaters, the voices came from a center speaker so that everyone in the theater could hear the dialog, and locational stereo sound from the left and right. The sound bars were designed for center channel use in home theater systems and did not need to have a wide frequency response. People are misusing them if they are trying get a full range sound.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
In motion picture sound in theaters, the voices came from a center speaker so that everyone in the theater could hear the dialog, and locational stereo sound from the left and right. The sound bars were designed for center channel use in home theater systems and did not need to have a wide frequency response. People are misusing them if they are trying get a full range sound.
Aren’t soundbars and center channel speakers two different things? I think center channel speakers tend to be shorter than soundbars and, like you say, are intended for things like dialog sound in a multi speaker setup. Soundbars are usually longer and are comprised of more speakers inside it because they are intended to deliver all the audio by itself, sometimes supplemented with a sub woofer.

That’s true though, the center channel does make sense when there is a larger audience, so that it can always deliver audio from the center/screen for everyone in the audience.

Last edited:

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
I think Mich
Soundbars typically provide better sound than built-in TV speakers... especially since TVs have gotten thinner and have down-firing speakers.

Maybe that was their plan all along... make TVs sound bad so they can sell you an additional accessory... :p

But yes... separate stereo speakers would probably sound better than a soundbar.... but then you'll need some sort of amp/receiver, more wires, etc.

I think soundbars are popular just because they're easy.
I think Michael Scrip has it explained spot on.

I've used both over the years. Full surround setup? Best sound possible IME but a big footprint, potential price, and potentially a PITA to setup and maintain. Great for a theater room, too much imho for a simple TV living room.
Reducing the number of speakers to stereo(3 way) with a separate sub? If quality speakers then it can be great audio, better than virtually all bars. Still a much bigger footprint and fair amount of upkeep than a bar. But two 3 way speakers with no sub? High quality speakers likelier than not will beat the bar but now the best bars using a separate sub can definitely compete and even win.
In my own setup I have a new Sony Bravia X65CH with the Sony sound bar (I’m a believer in keeping components same mfg when possible). Extremely clean looking setup (I lean toward minimalist these days), everything singularly controlled by ARC, use my Siri remote to on-off-sound-channels etc (only occasionally need to change TV input or ok an update on the TV using the Sony remote), sound is solid but in the area of unspectacular because of bass. I did not go for a separate sub…yet (mistake). Imho getting solid low frequency sound is critical to quality audio. Bars without a separate sub, like mine, can give very good mid and high frequencies but the low frequencies just aren’t where you want it to be. For subs bigger is almost always better.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
Aren’t soundbars and center channel speakers two different things? I think center channel speakers tend to be shorter than soundbars and, like you say, are intended for things like dialog sound in a multi speaker setup. Soundbars are usually longer and are comprised of more speakers inside it because they are intended to deliver all the audio by itself, sometimes supplemented with a sub woofer.

That’s true though, the center channel does make sense when there is a larger audience, so that it can always deliver audio from the center/screen for everyone in the audience.
Center channel and soundbars are definitely different. Most new soundbars will have a center channel, then 2L and 2R with some sort of modest sub at the end(you’ll see the trademark sub air outlet cone at the end).
Even the non bar setup using an enh. stereo speakers is better due to including that center (music will largely be simple stereo, but talking will utilize enh. stereo relying on the center for on screen talking voices). Keeping the voice projection closely coming from the speaking person on screen is a plus. Without a center channel it really gets noticeable when L R speakers are placed a few feet to the left and right of the screen in a smaller tv room.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Keeping the voice projection closely coming from the speaking person on screen is a plus. Without a center channel it really gets noticeable when L R speakers are placed a few feet to the left and right of the screen in a smaller tv room.
Some clever TVs even use the screen as centre channel transducer, and even allow it to be driven by external amp.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I think there is more to this questions than soundbar vs stereo speakers. The speakers will need to be connected to other components and those can play an important part in all this. Will the speakers be connected to a simple integrated amp or to something more elaborate? Also what inputs/outputs do you have on your TV?

In my case, I tried connecting my quite old TV directly to my mid range, simple integrated amp system with an optical cable. Sound was very good but only stereo and it involved yet another remote. I then tried a Sonos Beam. Sound was good from the TV with decent simulated spatial effects but was lacking for music, connection was simple via HDMI but using it with my Apple TV remote was not the best experience. I then switched to a pair of Homepods. Sound is very good for all sources and does provide good simulated spatial effects. It connections wirelessly to and works seamlessly with my Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I think Mich

I think Michael Scrip has it explained spot on.

I've used both over the years. Full surround setup? Best sound possible IME but a big footprint, potential price, and potentially a PITA to setup and maintain. Great for a theater room, too much imho for a simple TV living room.
Reducing the number of speakers to stereo(3 way) with a separate sub? If quality speakers then it can be great audio, better than virtually all bars. Still a much bigger footprint and fair amount of upkeep than a bar. But two 3 way speakers with no sub? High quality speakers likelier than not will beat the bar but now the best bars using a separate sub can definitely compete and even win.
In my own setup I have a new Sony Bravia X65CH with the Sony sound bar (I’m a believer in keeping components same mfg when possible). Extremely clean looking setup (I lean toward minimalist these days), everything singularly controlled by ARC, use my Siri remote to on-off-sound-channels etc (only occasionally need to change TV input or ok an update on the TV using the Sony remote), sound is solid but in the area of unspectacular because of bass. I did not go for a separate sub…yet (mistake). Imho getting solid low frequency sound is critical to quality audio. Bars without a separate sub, like mine, can give very good mid and high frequencies but the low frequencies just aren’t where you want it to be. For subs bigger is almost always better.

I think there is more to this questions than soundbar vs stereo speakers. The speakers will need to be connected to other components and those can play an important part in all this. Will the speakers be connected to a simple integrated amp or to something more elaborate? Also what inputs/outputs do you have on your TV?

In my case, I tried connecting my quite old TV directly to my mid range, simple integrated amp system with an optical cable. Sound was very good but only stereo and it involved yet another remote. I then tried a Sonos Beam. Sound was good from the TV with decent simulated spatial effects but was lacking for music, connection was simple via HDMI but using it with my Apple TV remote was not the best experience. I then switched to a pair of Homepods. Sound is very good for all sources and does provide good simulated spatial effects. It connections wirelessly to and works seamlessly with my Apple TV 4K.
I agree dealing with an amp/receiver adds a level of complexity and clutter (and price) that can be a barrier to a lot of people. That’s what I love about the stereo HomePod setup, don’t have to deal with any of that, but still get that wide sound stage. Plus very good bass even without a dedicated sub woofer (which would take up more space). For me it’s perfect because of the extreme ease of setup/use, minimalistic footprint, and great sound. Also because I love stereo, no desire for surround sound. Of course it’s pricier than a lot of soundbars.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Center channel and soundbars are definitely different. Most new soundbars will have a center channel, then 2L and 2R with some sort of modest sub at the end(you’ll see the trademark sub air outlet cone at the end).
Even the non bar setup using an enh. stereo speakers is better due to including that center (music will largely be simple stereo, but talking will utilize enh. stereo relying on the center for on screen talking voices). Keeping the voice projection closely coming from the speaking person on screen is a plus. Without a center channel it really gets noticeable when L R speakers are placed a few feet to the left and right of the screen in a smaller tv room.
True but I think for one or two viewers centered to the screen, a center channel shouldn’t be necessary because equally balanced sound from two stereo speakers will sound exactly the same. It’s when there are viewers who are off center (watching at an angle) that the center channel will be useful to keep the audio sounding like it’s coming from the screen. The other time that it is useful is if a viewer wants to adjust the center channel sound—eg. a lot of times the dialog is mixed on its own center channel and sometimes people want to turn that up over other sound. But theoretically if it’s mixed well that shouldn’t be too necessary.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am not an audiophile, but I love movies.

When I compare home theater speakers, I primarily look for 5 qualities.
  1. Dialog: Intelligible dialog, natural and balanced voice (mid-range and center channel).
  2. Bass: Deep bass extension that does not sound unnaturally boomy or shaky.
  3. Treble: Lots of details on the high-end, but without sounding fatiguing.
  4. Sound Stage: Wide yet natural perceived size of the sound.
  5. Surround: Atmospheric and natural panning across surround channels. A bonus point for height channel effect.
Due to my family's desire for minimalist aesthetics, I have long abandoned having multi-speaker home theater system. So I tried several sound bars, settling down to Sonos Arc with Sub (didn't get a pair of One SLs yet) I use a pair of HomePods with another TV.

My star ratings are in scale 1 to 5, where 5 corresponds to a competent under $2,000 multi-speaker home theater system.

LG B9 (built-in TV speakers)HomePods (stereo pair)Yamaha YAS-209Sonos Arc with SubSamsung QT-950T
Channels2.02.02.15.1.29.1.4
DolbyDolby AtmosDolby AtmosDolby DigitalDolby AtmosDolby Atmos
Dialog⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Bass⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Treble⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sound Stage⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Surround⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I agree. IMO, the homepods were crippled by software. If they had worked smoothly with Macs I probably would've bought a pair. They were just too limited by software. A missed opportunity for Apple.
I have stated this in many forums about the Homepods. the HomePod failed because of Apple's approach to the software. They are lovely speakers.

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
I have stated this in many forums about the Homepods. the HomePod failed because of Apple's approach to the software. They are lovely speakers.
Would like to have homepods but 1. Price. I pay the premium for Apple and the value add more than makes up for it imho. But the HomePod was just too much of a premium for my comfort zone. 2. Now with its mfg abandonment, unless I can pick up a big discount it’s not a smart purchase given other quality audio options.
It is too bad about Apple’s stewardship on the HomePod. Agree that they could have been a differentiator.

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
True but I think for one or two viewers centered to the screen, a center channel shouldn’t be necessary because equally balanced sound from two stereo speakers will sound exactly the same. It’s when there are viewers who are off center (watching at an angle) that the center channel will be useful to keep the audio sounding like it’s coming from the screen. The other time that it is useful is if a viewer wants to adjust the center channel sound—eg. a lot of times the dialog is mixed on its own center channel and sometimes people want to turn that up over other sound. But theoretically if it’s mixed well that shouldn’t be too necessary.
Agreed. Audio dynamics aren’t an exact formula. The seating, screen size, sound mix etc etc are variable factors.
if the two stereo speakers are L R close to the display, seating is sufficiently far enough away, solid audio mix/performance of the speakers? A center speaker directly below the display is unlikely to have a discernible difference in image location-audio voice projection synch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.