Deep Roots Remix Event
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Sharealike licenses

Sharealike licenses

Muso Miozoto
permalink   Mon, May 27, 2024 @ 1:40 PM
It seems as though the sharealike licenses have been removed.
Could I get a reason why this has been done?

I would like to post sound on the condition that derivatives remain able to use commercially.
I think that commercial applications make growth sustainable.
Apoxode
admin
permalink   Wed, May 29, 2024 @ 1:49 PM
Hi Muso,

You have an excellent point, it seemed that the sharealike accomplished just that, so now what?
I always ask the same question when I try to figure out why a remix conforms to a sharealike license, which is a built-in policy of creative commons.
I cannot answer your question, only provide some considered speculation.
The best way to get a solid answer to this is within the creative commons community, probably their forum?

But one clarification I have to make - only the option to have one is removed, not the license itself, they are still valid.

Thanks for reaching out, hope this helps a little.

Kind regards,
Apoxode

permalink   Muso Miozoto Thu, May 30, 2024 @ 12:01 PM
Is there any chance the option to have sharealike licenses might return ?
Thank you for your attention and very considerate answer .

permalink   Apoxode Thu, May 30, 2024 @ 12:22 PM
Muso,
In my best guess, the sharealike license won’t return here, but it is definitely still an active license elsewhere

I’m purely speculating here, but because of the way licenses favour the most strict (ie. non-commercial), coupled with an artist needing the choice to control how their remixes are used, it doesn’t seem to be conducive for everyone.

If the only way an artist can use sharealike material (which just means to keep it commercially viable) is to make their remix commercially viable, it prevents them from using cc-by-nc material in the remix as well because of the conflicting license terms.

This can also be a problem if external sources are involved, like royalty-free samples, outside contributors, etc.

If a source is marked non-commercial outside of ccMixter, and used in a traditional sharealike remix here, it would mistakenly become commercial, regardless of any text in the remix’s description.

Out of curiosity, what types of sounds do you think benefit the most from remaining sharealike?

Kindly,
Apoxode