Perennially Proposed Ideas: Check Before Posting

This thread acts as a hub for all recurring proposals as a way to prevent duplication. Please, rather than making a new thread, respond to the one listed below. This thread is not exhaustive, and if you think anything has been missed, link it below.

February 23rd, 2019 | edited June 2nd, 2021

Top Accomplishments. Link

February 27th, 2019

The thing with adding multiple People as the artist of a song lol.. Since I’m not that active in the english forum I don’t know one specific but a long time ago as a contributor I also made a thread about that and I was told that there oviously were pretty much people suggesting that xd

March 2nd, 2019

@blockii added :)

March 2nd, 2019

I need this one :P

March 3rd, 2019

March 17th, 2019

added @volksmusikant
already there @MilesTheMorales

March 17th, 2019

@Beugeair Please could you add marking a song as a single? Link

April 7th, 2019

I would definitely suggest adding editing the Top Accomplishments Dropdown to the list. There’s so many. In fact, @aronquemarr even suggested this over a month ago!

April 9th, 2019

Dividing albums in discs is also a popular idea: see here (courtesy of @Daktar )

April 15th, 2019

would it be possible for someone from staff to chime in and tell us if these things are possible and/or being worked on? there are so many good/important suggestions that i feel get ignored.

not sure if y'all can help but maybe you can @ the proper people @Empath @BrianErwin @streetlights

May 4th, 2019

@SpeckHelper I have responded to all of these ideas on various occasions but I suppose you’re right it makes sense to have it all in one place!

• Redesign the forums

last year, a forum redesign was started but never completed as other pressing projects came up for the Tech team. work hasn’t resumed on the forum redesign yet, but a redesign project is underway, starting with the home page. one big goal of this project is to bring the entire site up to speed design-wise, but the homepage is the current focus. updates will happen in the linked thread.

• Re-open General Discussion

Community team has had a lot of internal debate about this. if you recall, GD was locked alongside RG in an attempt to clean up the forums, and then we created a new, followable RG. the intention was to “reset” both spaces in tandem with updated moderation guidelines, with the hope of weeding out the bad/problematic content from them both. we decided not to reopen GD at the same time because we felt it would be too much to wrangle both forums simultaneously.

since then, RG has improved and is more actively moderated, but not to the extent that I think we envisioned when we started the forum revamp project. I still find myself needing to go on regular locking and/or banning sprees, and more often than not these are threads that have either a) been up on the site for days or b) already been touched by a med/mod who either took no action or posted in bad/insubstantial discussions instead of moderating the thread.

in late January/early February, @BrianErwin did a call to action for people who are interested in helping bring GD back, but to be super real, not many people responded and some of those that did were people who contribute to bad forum vibes.

tl;dr, we are open to the idea of reinstating GD but there are some prerequisites, namely figuring out if there’s legitimate interest from productive community members and forming a team of dependable mods who are down to regulate it.

• Introduce a “Transcriber” role

from a Community x Tech perspective, the transcriber role is a top priority. we wanted to introduce it sooner, but other pressing priorities took precedence. my hope is that we can introduce it before the end of the year. we have a lot of ideas for the role, but one important thing is lyric approval tools—ideally they’ll get rolled into the transcriber role and be hooked up to IQ. of course, when it’s time to introduce the role, we’ll get you all involved.

• Volume setting in the media player

tbr this is low priority. since we introduced the Apple player, the default media player is only available to a smaller group of users. and it’s not like there’s no way to control the volume—everyone has volume controls on their devices. IMO there are more important qualify of life improvements.

• Unpyong accidents

low priority compared to other improvements we could make. just be conscientious with your pyongs, or pyong again with your correction.

• Unfollow chosen annotations

this is more of a notification issue than a following issue IMO. notifications can be a bit all over the place, especially for people who are really involved, and I think we could do a better job of packaging/combining notifs and also adding nuanced notification preferences. but an isolated change for “unfollow an annotation” is low priority—besides, don’t you want to know that you got some IQ, even if it’s only .1??

• Multiple primary artists

an important one, and also a very complicated one both from a tech perspective and from a community perspective. regardless, it’s something that we’ve wanted for a long time. if/when this happens, it will probably need to be part of a larger fingerprinting/disambiguation restructuring.

• Merge annotations

also a very complicated issue that I think falls below the line because we have a long-standing WIB workaround in the guides. in theory, if everybody followed the “annotate the whole idea” rule we would never need to do this, but of course that doesn’t happen in reality. for now this is low priority but may happen in the future.

• Marking songs as singles

with our current system, there would be no way to differentiate between Genius' organization of an artist’s singles and an artist’s official singles compilation release. organizationally complicated, probably complicated from a tech perspective, and would likely need to be a part of the bigger disambiguation project. there are higher priority fixes IMO.

• Manage your top accomplishments

you can already manage your top accomplishments, but I recognize that it is not a very efficient system. the ideal here would just be to pin 10 accomplishments to your profile. but this isn’t a huge priority IMO.

hope this helps! let me know if you have questions.

May 6th, 2019 | edited May 6th, 2019

@Empath thanks for responding clearly and openly! that info is great

May 6th, 2019

the transcriber role is a top priority. we wanted to introduce it sooner, but other pressing priorities took precedence. my hope is that we can introduce it before the end of the year.

oof

January 9th, 2020

“Parody of”/“Parodied by” should be listed as a “Song Connection” option.

April 1st, 2020

I like that @Empath gave answer to almost every project that’s on this list! Big up for this.

Maybe we could start a Genius page where we collect the most popular projects and where staff annotate the project and put in their opinion on that topic, and change them too as soon as something changes about that topic. We could also sort them by the priority, like sections “High priority,” “Medium priority,” “Low priority.”
And editors/moderators could add up things to that list, so that we can comprehend better how projects are prioritized currently!
Would that be something possible? @Empath @streetlights @WriteNProppa

EDIT: I also think that I’ve made a pretty good summary of the community’s most important update projects in the redesign thread, we could use the list to start with.

April 1st, 2020 | edited April 1st, 2020