Recommend me some artists (rap/hip-hop)

So I’ve recently been exploring music genres I’m less familiar with and I’m finding I enjoy some rap and hip-hop music, but as with any other genre my taste is both eclectic and specific in a way where I usually like less than 50% of any given musician’s catalogue. So with a little help from wikipedia I’m going to list some things I’ve found I enjoy below, and hopefully you can give me some recs for artists to check out, or even specific songs that align with my taste.

• Golden age hip-hop
    Likes: (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) by The Beastie Boys, I Want You by LL Cool J
    Dislikes: One Shot At Love and I’m Bad by LL Cool J
  • New jack swing
  • Trap music: I HATE TRAP DRUMS
  • Modern hip-hop:
    Likes: I like most of Lil Nas X’s stuff as long as it’s not using a trap beat. I adore Industry Baby and play it on loop a lot.
  • Pop-rap:
    Likes: U Can’t Touch This by MC Hammer, Fantasy by Mariah Carey, Thrift Shop by Macklemore, Umbrella by Rihanna
    Dislikes: I’ve never heard anything by Nikki Minaj that I can even begin to stand
  • Gangsta rap:
    Likes: Gangsta’s Paradise by Coolio, No Church in the Wild by Kanye & Jay-Z, Lose Yourself and Not Afraid by Eminem, Say What You Want (All Day Every Day) by Wu-Tang Clan
    Dislikes: I have a lot of trouble with stuff that’s really deeply about committing crimes, at all about abusing women, or uses the N word to excess. I know as a white Latina I don’t have a right to say they can’t use the word in their music but I can only listen to it repeated so many times.
  • Modern indie:
  • Reggae fusion:
November 24th, 2023

okay, so… i don’t quite know if this lines up with your taste in music, but if you want a new artist to get hooked on, i suggest iann dior.

his music has been with me through some tough times, and dior has a sixth sense for releasing fire albums when i go through the most terrible things you could imagine.
(he’s a great coping mechanism)

i’ve been with him since “nothings ever good enough” and i really love him. he made it to korea, with how popular he’s getting. i genuinely thought he was my little secret that i would gatekeep forever, but he deserves more than that.

songs to start with would be :
- let you
- runaway kid (if you like ballad-ish things)
- do it all
- memory lane
- saddest soundtrack
and
- valley of lies (if you have any curiosities about k-pop disclaimer – this is my own opinion, but i feel like bts is the worst group to start with in k-pop. start with stray kids or tomorrow x together. not bts. or blackpink. they both have a great discography, but they are the most stereotypical korean bands to start with, just don’t…

sorry i ranted..

SO!
check out iann dior, if you think he could be something for you!!

November 27th, 2023

@kyukyukyujinyang Thank you, I’ll check him out!

November 28th, 2023

Steve Stacks – Now in the Presence or Thick N Thin or wait until DEC 11 and listen to Royalty and Here til 2099. Can I post my link here? you can find it all on ig stacksrapper or FB Steve $tacks

December 3rd, 2023

Steve Stacks Song See bottom of page for song. Youtube video. The playback from Apple plays the instrumental.

December 3rd, 2023

Uzi vert by BMV Young Face

Feel Me by BMV Young Face

DND by rema

Chrisjnr999

December 7th, 2023

{ik i’m late, blame the ice age for it}
I’d say twenty one pilots is pretty good, especially the album Vessel or Blurryface.

Then there’s Imagine Dragons, pop-rock {you probably know them}
the album Night Visions by them is pretty good

Then there’s NF, he’s a rapper
CLOUDS (the mixtape) or HOPE {his recent release} are pretty good.

HOPE {i just had to do it} you have a great listening experience.

July 12th, 2024

OP seems to have gone inactive, but I just wanted to correct something here for any readers.

Gangsta rap:
Likes: Gangsta’s Paradise by Coolio, No Church in the Wild by Kanye & Jay-Z, Lose Yourself and Not Afraid by Eminem, Say What You Want (All Day Every Day) by Wu-Tang Clan

A majority of these songs, especially the ones I have bolded, are not gangsta rap. “Not Afraid,” for example, from Eminem’s 2010 album Recovery would be more aptly described as pop rap tbh. A bulk of Eminem’s discography (and that of the Wu-Tang Clan) would fall under the subgenre “hardcore rap,” but gangsta rap (while often overlapping with hardcore rap) is more specifically about the gangster lifestyle – some notable artists include Freddie Gibbs, Pusha T, Raekwon (of the Wu-Tang Clan), Boldy James, or even early Jay-Z like Reasonable Doubt.

July 13th, 2024

Kenrick Lamar
Travis Scott
Vince Staples
Masipag

August 13th, 2024
0 new posts. Show

Create an account to post a reply!